Check out these topics for debate! You’ll find silly, funny, and light-hearted debate topics, controversial ones, as well as easy ones for ESL. Keep on reading for the best suggestions for some topics to debate about.
Top Debating Topics
If you’re looking for some of the best debate topics, you’re certainly in the right place. Stay tuned for controversial, funny, silly, and easy debating topics, along with good ESL debate topics for language learners. And of course, be sure to add your suggestion to the list by leaving a comment below.
Controversial Debate Topics
Here are some suggestions for controversial things to debate about:
- Testing on animals should be banned.
- Women should be paid less than men in certain professions.
- Women should have the same physical standards to become a firefighter or police officer or to join the military.
- Drug addicts should get help, not punishment.
- People who smoke should pay more for healthcare.
- All recreational drugs should be legalized.
- Everyone has the right to own a gun.
- Human cloning should be allowed.
- Video games make people violent.
- Marijuana should be legalized.
- The minimum wage isn’t necessary.
- It’s too late to stop climate change.
- The rich should have higher tax rates.
Funny Debate Topics
Here are some of the best funny things to debate about:
- Being really short is better than being really tall.
- Chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla.
- Clowns are scary.
- Flying is the best superpower.
- It would be terrible to know what other people are thinking all the time.
- Mondays are the worst day.
- The best way to cut a pizza is in squares.
- December is the best month.
Do you have any funny controversial topics to recommend? Leave a comment below.
If you’re looking for some more ideas, have a look here: Pointless Debate Topics.
Good Debating Topics
Check out some of the top suggestions for good debate topics:
- The death penalty should be abolished.
- Zoos should be banned.
- The voting age should be lowered to 16.
- Smoking should be illegal in _____.
- Violent video games should be banned.
- Our country should introduce a universal basic income.
- Long-distance relationships never work out.
- A college education isn’t necessary these days.
- Social media contributes to higher suicide rates.
- It’s not appropriate to teach religion in schools.
- Democracy is the best form of government.
- Companies have too much information about us.
Silly Debate Topics
Have a look at some of these silly things to debate about:
- Pizza is more delicious than a hamburger.
- Cats are better pets than dogs.
- Mcdonalds is the best fast food restaurant of all time.
- There are aliens living among us.
- Would you give up a finger in exchange for a million dollars?
- A gorilla would win in a fight with a bear.
- There would be no war if all the world leaders were women.
- Time doesn’t really exist.
- Teenagers should have after-school jobs.
Looking for something more casual? Check out: Topics to debate with friends.
ESL Debate Topics
Here are some simple ESL debating topics that are ideal for English learners:
- Money makes you happier.
- We shouldn’t eat so much meat.
- Plastic bags shouldn’t be allowed.
- Morning people are more productive than night owls.
- Customers are not always right.
- Cheating on exams is sometimes acceptable.
- Online dating is a good way to meet people.
- Students should be required to learn another language in school.
- English is the most important second language to learn.
- Summer vacation is better than winter vacation.
- People waste too much time on social media.
- Living together before marriage is useful.
Easy Debating Topics for Children
Take a look at these easier debate topics that are ideal for children:
- Chewing gum should be banned in _____.
- Advertisements for children should be banned.
- Children should not have smartphones.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to watch TV.
- Homework shouldn’t be allowed in schools.
- Children should wear school uniforms.
- Homeschooling is better than regular schooling.
- Schools should ban phones.
- Barbie dolls are harmful.
- Art isn’t an important subject.
- Music isn’t an important subject.
Light-Hearted Debate Topics
Here are some of the best light-hearted debating topics:
- Summer is better than winter.
- Living forever would be terrible.
- Smartphones make people stupid.
- Pepperoni is the ultimate pizza topping.
- Being good-looking is better than being smart.
- Staying home is better than going out.
- Pineapple doesn’t belong on pizza.
- Thin crust pizza is better than thick crust.
- People should never date a coworker.
- Real books are better than ebooks.
Serious Debate Topics
Here are some of the more serious topics for debating:
- Assisted suicide should be legal.
- Prisoners should not be allowed to vote.
- Rich people should pay more in taxes.
- Animal testing should be banned.
- Abortion should be banned.
- University should be tuition-free.
- Genetically modified foods should be banned.
- Everyone should become vegan to stop climate change.
- Artificial intelligence will one day be dangerous to humans.
- The government should fully fund health and dental care.
Did you like these Top Debating Topics?
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 278 Pages - 07/12/2020 (Publication Date)
Then you’re going to love this book on Amazon: 67 ESL Conversation Topics. The key to better English classes is a wide variety of interesting and engaging topics and questions and this book will help you get there in style.
Pick up a copy of the book today and get ready for better English classes tomorrow!
Good Debate Topics: Join the Conversation
Do you have any funny controversial topics to debate about that you’d like us to add to the list? Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think about it. We’d love to hear from you.
Last update on 2022-10-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API